Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Narf Narf Narf


Cute names are usually four-lettered. Take for example.. Narf.. Nerd.. Herd... Bleh...

For those of you who haven't watched M. Night Shyamalan's "Lady in the Water" I suggest you watch it, especially if you are into modern fairy tales involving a water nymph awakening the writers, gilders, and guardians in ordinary people.

The message of the movie for me is how people come to realize their life purpose. Just because an ancient being tells you, you are this promised, foretold guardian who could hypnotize beasts .. do you suddenly become that guardian?

I enjoyed this film because Shyamalan managed to surprise me, the story lures you into a set plot, you have it down pat who will do what.. but then the characters make realizations.. one is purpose is not in what other people tell you you are meant to be. Purpose is what you choose to do. It is like walking to a certain direction without clear direction, and in so walking, you find that direction, you affirm your purpose.

I tend to ask my purpose first before walking anywhere. My boss hands me things to do, but before I do it, I ask myself first.. why is this important to me? what is the purpose? Which, ofcourse, could lead to delays from deadlines, and annoying my boss with rationalizations.. but hey, if they wanted a robot to do their bidding without question, they could always hire artificial intelligence. (Which, by the way, thanks to the Matrix trilogy, made people wary of relying on AI too much. 'Coz AI will end up being smarter than you are and make humans obsolete, now who would want that?)

But then, that is not the point. Purpose. Where are you? I have read the first five chapters of the "Purpose-Driven Life" and yes, it provides guideposts, made me aware again of my ephemeral state, this transciency that causes me to long for something more than this worldly life.. I am not made to last here, I am made to last somewhere else that my human mind cannot easily see. What lies beyond death... to find out is like sending a camera to document what is in the black hole... I guess that is a job we can send AI to. What are the odds of Shyamalan doing that movie? Maybe I should give him a call to make a story about this AI named... Ephemeral.. who is sent by humans to document the Bermuda Triangle, the Black hole, and life after death.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I gotta watch this. I love modern fantasies. I was disappointed with M. Night's last release though (the village), I hope this one redeems himself for me.

Ellen said...

Erm, forgive my unprofoundness...did Shyamalan have a bit role in the movie as he always practiced? :P